THEMES FOR ENGLISH 1312
(Be sure you chose a subject you want to learn A LOT about, and that you can
research, form a strong personal opinion on, and argue for all semester!)
- Is evolution just a fantasy, or is it how we got
- Can modern war ever be moral?
If so, what makes a present-day conflict a just war?
- Is physical intimacy between consenting
adults of the same gender natural or unnatural? Why?
- Should prostitution remain a
crime, or should it be decriminalized in the USA?
- What should we do about
America's trillion-dollar budget deficit? Or is this not a problem?
- Should today's U.S. college students
build a strong
youth movement (like that in the 1960's), against war, tuition
increases and other urgent social problems? If not, why
- How can the personal, social
and economic effects of racism best be eliminated in the USA?
- Do men and women experience
love in the same way? Or are there significant differences?
- Are selfishness and greed good? Or
are they bad?
- The Catholic Catechism warns that
""The deliberate use of the sexual faculty," alone or with another
person, "for whatever reason, outside of marriage is essentially
contrary to its purpose" and is gravely wrong. Is this judgment
correct? Why or why not?
- Should employees always try to be content with
their wages and loyal to their employers?
- Should America return to the
gold standard? If so, why? If not, why not?
- Should there be a
constitutional amendment guaranteeing equal rights for women?
- Is abortion murder, or is it a
Information on this page applies only to courses taught by
For educational purposes only.
Open Courseware | OCW |This work is dedicated to the Public Domain..